Scan of Micro Peripherals Inc MPI 91/92 Product Manual Avail?

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Fri Oct 5 19:15:44 CDT 2018

On 10/5/2018 4:04 PM, Bill Degnan via cctalk wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2018, 6:43 PM Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 5 Oct 2018, steve shumaker via cctalk wrote:
>>> I've scanned something called the "MPI Flexible Disk Drive Interfacing
>> Guide"
>>> for the Model 51/52 floppy units
>> Is that the same as:
>> http://www.osiweb.org/manuals/MPI_B51-B52_Product_Manual.pdf
>> ?
>>
>> Q: Is the 91/92 being asked about merely a 96TPI version of the MPI
>>
> <snip>

In 1982, this Infoworld article shows MPI in on a standards group for
microfloppies.  They were not a player with a lot of room to stumble,
and I believe they didn't do much with the 91/92 technology because of
lack of sales.  They were betting on the 3 1/2" market, and will look
around to see if I can find info on that.

The following google scan barf is for Infoworld, September 13, 1982, page 6.

https://books.google.com/books?id=EDAEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=magnetic+peripherals+inc+mpi+chatsworth+ca+-control+-data+-cdc&source=bl&ots=J9seBGsWD7&sig=7Mvc7_wqSCkt48EydabdDozjbho&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj55tS9tfDdAhUJrlQKHXs7CxUQ6AEwAXoECAQQAQ#v=onepage&q=magnetic%20peripherals%20inc%20mpi%20chatsworth%20ca%20-control%20-data%20-cdc&f=false

Lists members of a group to standardize form, as well as that there are
those working on a 3" media.

The 1982 time frame fits with our maintaining their Microdata system,
and worth mentioning we lost them as a customer for that due to their
business not going so well.

In Jan 1983, they bought for stock a head company

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/01/24/BUSINESS-BRIEFS/1727412232400/

"Micro Peripherals Inc. said Monday it has acquired in return for MPI
stock assets of the floppy disk magnetic recording head operations of
Information Magnetics Corp., a subsidiary of Computer & Communications
Technology Corp."

There isn't much in the trade press other than this I found.
thanks
Jim

thanks
Jim