Text encoding Babel.

Sean Conner spc at conman.org
Fri Nov 30 21:35:00 CST 2018

It was thus said that the Great Guy Dunphy via cctalk once stated:

> Anyway, back on topic (classic computing.) Here's an ascii chart with some
> control codes highlighted.
>
>   http://everist.org/ASCII/ascii_reuse_legend.png
>
> I'm collecting all I can find on past (and present) uses of the control
> codes. Especially the ones highlighed in orange. Not having a lot of
> success in finding detailed explanations, beyond very brief summaries in
> old textbooks.
>
> Note that I'm mostly interested in code interpretations in communications
> protocols. Their use in local file encodings not so much, since those are
> the domain of legacy application software and wouldn't clash with
> redefinition of what the codes do, in future applications.

  I've found this page:

	http://www.aivosto.com/articles/control-characters.html

to be helpful in describing all the control codes as defined by ANSI (the C0
set from 0x00 to 0x1F and 0x7F) and by the ISO (the C1 set from 0x80 to
0x9F).  I also found reading the ECMA-48 standard to be helpful for the C1
set as well (as well as understanding web pages that supposedly describe so
called ANSI terminal codes, which are really ECMA-48 codes).

  -spc