Text encoding Babel. Was Re: George Keremedjiev

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Nov 30 19:31:07 CST 2018

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018, Maciej W. Rozycki via cctalk wrote:
> Be assured there were enough IBM PC clones running DOS around from 1989
> onwards for this stuff to matter, and hardly anyone switched to MS Windows
> before version 95 (running Windows 3.0 with the ubiquitous HGC-compatible
> graphics adapters was sort of fun anyway, and I am not sure if Windows 3.1
> even supported it; maybe with extra drivers).

Depending on which question you are asking, . . .
Windows 3.1 definitely did support Hercules video.  We had about 3 dozen
such machines (386SX) in the school student homework lab.
It also supported CGA, but initially didn't come with the driver, so it
would work if you upgraded from 3.0 to 3.1, or otherwise used the 3.0 CGA
driver.

In August 1991, I went to a Microsoft conference in Seattle.  Although it
was the anniversary of the 5150, Bill Gates was making appearances on the
east coast, instead of being there.

They asked our opinion of the NEW flying ["dry rot" disintegrating] window
logo, and couldn't believe it that we did NOT love it.

I found out about, and got a copy of, a CD-ROM "International" Windows
3.0, with many languages, including Chinese!  I loved being able to
install from CD, instead of boxes of floppies, and was glad that they were
at least trying to expand to the rest of the world.

They introduced Windows 3.1.  But the borrowed Toshiba laptop that I had
with me had 1MB of contiguous RAM, but not A20 support, and 3.1 "NEEDED"
64K above 1MB for HIMEM.SYS, which "SOLVES the problem of not enough RAM".
3.1 also was the first product to force SMARTDRV.SYS.  As soon as I got
home, I contacted the Win3.1 Beta program to tell them that write-cacheing
without a way to turn it off was a BIG problem.  There was a bad spot on
the hard drive that I was installing it to that neither Spinrite nor
SpeedStor could find, but it consistently crashed the 3.1 installation.
But, with the forced write cacheing, there was NO possible way to recover.
(Without write-cacheing, you just rename the file that failed, and
manually install another copy of that one file)
I found the bad spot and put a SECTORS.BAD file there, and then was OK.
The Microsoft Beta program wanted cheerleaders, and ABSOLUTELY didn't want
any negative feedback nor bug reports, and insisted that the OS had no
responsibility to recover from nor survive hardware problems, and that
therefore it was not their problem.  I told them that they would soon
have to do a recall (THAT was EXACTLY what happened with DOS 6.2x).  They
did not invite me to participate in any more Betas.

I had a font editor that wouldn't tolerate 3.1, and quite a few XTs (no
A20),  so I continued to keep Win 3.0 on a bunch of machines.