Text encoding Babel. Was Re: George Keremedjiev

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Nov 26 23:23:43 CST 2018

>> Oh yes, tell me about the html 'there is no such thing as hard formatting
>> and you can't have any even when you want it' concept. Thank you Tim
>> Berners Lee.
> I've not delved too deeply into the lack of hard formatting in HTML.

The HTML <pre>  . . .  </pre> tag helps a bit.
Before I found THAT, I was having serious difficulties with too much of
what I tried to do with HTML.

Obvious examples include ASCII art, but also program source code.
I should NOT have to create a "table" for that, nor have difficulty having
a string literal in code that contains varying numbers of space
characters!

For some reason, a few decades ago, I had substantial difficulty finding
out about the existence of the <pre> tag, and at that time, did not find
the <code> tag, nor CSS.   Now, it seems to be pretty easy to find.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com