Text encoding Babel. Was Re: George Keremedjiev

Guy Dunphy guykd at optusnet.com.au
Fri Nov 23 15:43:31 CST 2018

At 07:27 PM 23/11/2018 +0100, you wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 07:01:17PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 at 18:54, Tomasz Rola via cctalk
>> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Turn off trashing mails with Unicode in Subject and see if this solves
>> > a problem?
>>
>> *Loud laughter in the office*
>>
>> Well _played_, sir!
>
>Well, that was low hanging fruit.

Yes, I should have pre-empted that one. But glad it gave someone a laugh.

>But if he indeed turns it off and
>the problem is not gone, that will be a bit of puzzle.

It's not related. My cctalk filter runs before the UTF-8 trash filter,
and I check the trashbin regularly.

>Will require
>some way to compare mailboxes in search of pattern in missing
>emails... Which may or may not be obvious... which will lead to more
>puzzles... oy maybe I should have stayed muted and let others do the
>job...

Here's one check. See attached screen-cap of cctalk emails. Usually many per
day, but only one per day on the 15th & 16th Nov, none at all on the 17th.
Did the list actually go silent then? It's possible by random ebb and flow,
or maybe everyone was in shock over the awful Paradise fire death toll.
Which may be over 1000, unless a lot of people listed as missing do turn up.

Guy