Removing PVA from a CRT

Curious Marc curiousmarc3 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 11:00:19 CST 2018

I like this idea, thanks for sharing. I might do the same for my HP 264x screens.

Marc

From: cctech <cctech-bounces at classiccmp.org> on behalf of "cctech at classiccmp.org" <cctech at classiccmp.org>
Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 5:59 PM
To: "cctech at classiccmp.org" <cctech at classiccmp.org>
Subject: Re: Removing PVA from a CRT

When we fixed the VR14 at the RICM, we were concerned about the safety

aspects of removing the PVA and just using double-sided tape to hold the

outer glass in place. We bought a thin sheet of Lexan at Home Depot, put

the outer glass on a cookie sheet with the outside surface down, put the

sheet of Lexan on top, and put it in an oven. When the temperature hit 420F

(if I remember correctly) the Lexan softened and conformed to the inside of

the glass. We trimmed the Lexan to size, reassembled the Lexan and glass to

the front of the CRT, and glued the steel mounting band in place. It looks

great, and is probably a lot safer than just leaving the PVA out.

--

Michael Thompson