Removing PVA from a CRT

Cory Heisterkamp coryheisterkamp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 20:08:33 CST 2018

On Nov 19, 2018, at 7:28 PM, Alan Perry wrote:

> In the video that I looked at, the guy cut 8 1/8" pieces of double-sided foam tape, three each along the top and bottom and one on each side, then sealed it with clear packing tape. It seemed to me that using some optically clear adhesive sheet would accomplish both jobs.
>
> I have some heat pads (gel in plastic that gets thrown in a microwave to heat up) for loosening the screen adhesive on iPads and such. Can I use them to get the remaining PVA to loosen up?

The heat pads are worth a shot if they can maintain temp long enough to do the job, though you'll be up against quite a bit of thermal mass with that thick glass. The old trick that people are still using today with vintage 21" CRT's is to put them in a kiddie pool outside and let the sun warm the water. You don't want to start too hot for risk of cracking the glass. *Glances out window* I can tell you that trick wouldn't work here today, nor for 6 more months.

If you have a way of ensuring the optically clear adhesive sheet bonds evenly and won't yellow, I don't see why that wouldn't work. I recall someone did do the foam tape/packing tape operation and then DID fill the void with a PVA type liquid material. Risky to ensure all the air bubbles made their way out, for sure. -C