Teletype cheap

W2HX w2hx at w2hx.com
Thu Nov 22 10:41:20 CST 2018

The guru of ASR33s is WAYNE KB1FDW, teletypeparts at comcast.net sales, repairs, advice.

73 Eugene W2HX

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk [mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of steve shumaker via cctalk
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 6:16 PM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
Subject: Re: Teletype cheap

It lives!!

Retrieved the EPay ASR33 over the weekend.   Unit described as "As is -
for parts" turned out to be almost completely intact school surplus unit
stored inside somewhere in Orange county since removed from service in
mid 80s (professionally maintained w service tag dated 1984).  Realized
as soon as I saw it up close that it was in far better shape than expected.

Plastic parts have three minor breaks not immediately visible and
probably reparable
Case parts missing:  chad box, tape punch cover; copy tray
Internally, seems completely intact except for 2 of the 4 gold pins in
the tape reader along with their springs
Keyboard cover has 2 plastic pins broken but unit stays in place and
keys move correctly except for the space bar which doesn't return when
pressed.  Keys are worn but in fairly good shape although two are cracked.

Weird comms setup.  Although from my reading it sounds as there was no
standard, this one doesn't match anything I've found in the hobbyist lit
so far:  Neither plug 2 nor the terminal strip are in use at all
(terminal strip only has pos 1 and 2 in use for power).  Unit has two
external cables that appear original since they both have the same
thread style cable ties in use in the internal wire harness. One cable
ends in a molex plug and the other in a small  "centronics" style plug.
Wires for the centronics style connector terminate in plug 1 and 3.
Another (related?) anomaly:  the large resistor associated with the
current loop setup isn't present.

So, inspected everything, as recommended here, replaced the print hammer
pad, checked caps and all fuses.  Motor turned freely by hand when
gently pushed. Plugged it in, turned it on to local and it fired right
up.  All keyboard functions appear to work.

Questions:
Anyone recognize the cabling setup?
Are the missing gold colored double pins in the tape reader replaceable?
What sort of adhesive works for cracks in the cover

under the hood photos here for the curious:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/endqTANG3mZgWG3q8

Steve