George Keremedjiev

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Wed Nov 21 17:10:50 CST 2018

On 21/11/2018 22:46, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:

> On 11/21/18 5:19 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>> Ed,
>> It is YOUR mail program that is doing the extraneous insertions, and
>> then not showing them to you when you view your own messages.
>>
>> Seriously, YOUR mail program is inserting extraneous stuff.
>> Everybody? but you sees it.

> I don't.  I didn't see it until someone replied with a
> copy of the offending text included.

I see the extra spaces, which are non-break spaces.  I think the reason
John was seeing uppercase A-circumflex characters is because Ed's email
is using UTF-8; however John's email client isn't respecting the header
that says so, and is using Western (ISO-8859-1).  NBSP in UTF-8 is
A-circumflex in Western.

Amusingly, Bill's reply also contains a NBSP (after the full stop in
"don't".), which displays as A-circumflex when I change the coding in my
client.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull