VAX 9440

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Mon Nov 12 08:34:54 CST 2018

> Some people are satisfied with the handheld vacuum desoldering irons, like
> the Hakko 808 (now replaced by Hakko FR-301). They're OK for some small

I love my 808. Have used it heavily to re-cap arcade monitor chassis (15+)
and all kinds of other circuit boards. Of course it doesn't work well when
the component lead is super tight to the plate through hole, but that is
an issue for wick as well.

Friend swears by Pace stations.

Recently picked up some Chinese soldering tweezers to aid in SMD capcitor
replacement. So far not in love with them. Of course, all the SMD caps I
want to remove have leaked electrolyte and the solder doesn't melt right.

Hot air setup is the next thing.