VAX 9440

Jim Manley jim.manley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 09:54:17 CST 2018

Evan said it was in service until a couple of months ago, so it should
power up OK, if it could all be electrically and mechanically stitched back
together carefully.  The question is probably, could they afford the power
bill?  We have a bunch of Crays and CDCs at the Computer History Museum,
and if they were operational, we'd probably have to take up a special
very-large-hat-passing collection just to pay the power bill for the
multiple,- multi-ton refrigeration units (at least one was about a
seven-ton unit, IIRC)!  Then, there's the problem of replacement parts for
when, not if, things fail, not to mention the labor expertise and
availability.  It's one thing to replace discrete transistors in our IBM
1401, but, it's quite another to desolder and yank various little black
rectangles off extremely dense circuit boards without destroying anything
else ... and then solder in a replacement, if you can find one not already
firmly attached to another board with another kind of failure.  That
assumes that problems can even be isolated, although at least more modern
systems tend to have self-diagnostic capabilities, at least above a certain
level of functionality, or lack thereof.