RS6k 7012/320H woes

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 17:17:56 CST 2018

Those code you highlighted are only a problem if it halts on that code
if it continues on then its ok, in fact it is finding something to boot
off of 299 means that it has loaded the bootable code from somewhere, in
your case likely the disk and has transferred control to it.  Do you
know if this machine ever had a graphics card of some kind installed?
if so then it would likely have been defined as the console, if not then
it may be a matter of finding out which serial ports where set up as
TTYs.  If the disk does in fact have AIX installed on it you will only
see activity on ports that have a getty running on them.  Do you have
anything like diagnostic diskette or original install  media you could
boot from?  Either one of those would check all the serial ports for a
terminal.  The RS/6000 is very picky about the serial connections and
does want to see certain signals present before it will talk to a serial
port.   Search for the manual "Adapters Devices and Cabling Information
for Microchannel Systems" near the back there is a section about
cabling  pay attention to the device called printer/terminal interposer
there is a wiring diagram, it is effectively a null modem.    Another
potentially useful manual is "Diagnostic Information for Microchannel
Systems"  There are equivalent manuals for the early PCI systems as well
substitute "Multibus" for Microchannel"

Paul.