Hams and old computer stuff (Re: old DEC stuff)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu May 31 20:03:05 CDT 2018

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 5:56 PM, Ben Sinclair via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Jon Tabor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org
>> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 12:06:03AM +0000, W2HX via cctalk wrote:
>> > Dang! I was in Dayton/Xenia also this year...
>>
>> A bit unrelated, and I'm fairly new to this list, but interesting to see
>> so many ham radio operators pop up.  I suspect the
>> same tinkering desire we get from ham radio is what draws us to old
>> computers.
>>
> I was at Hamvention this year too, though I didn't see as many old computer
> items as I did last year!

I've been to Hamvention on and off over the past 38 years.  I'd say in
general the amount of old computer items has been a fairly steady
downward trend the entire time.

I got my first PDP-8/L at my first Hamvention.  Those early-80s days
were *full* of DEC equipment.  By the early 90s, that had largely
dried up.  Still plenty of old stuff but not the old stuff I was
after.

-ethan