DEC RSX-11D and its COBOL compiler?

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Wed May 30 09:46:28 CDT 2018

On 05/30/2018 10:33 AM, John Forecast via cctalk wrote:

>>> 	Yes. The two V3.4A tapes will allow you to build either RSX-11D or IAS.
>> Wow, I did not know that.  It certainly confirms that IAS is just a slightly hacked RSX-11/D...
>>
>> 	paul
>>

>   	Probably more that just “slightly” hacked but certainly not a completely new design. The scheduler was completely reworked
> 	along with the swapping mechanisms. When I first saw it, there were 2 user interfaces; SCI> the System Control Interface for
> 	management operations and PDS> Program Development System for normal users. Before release, both were collapsed
> 	into the, now familiar, DCL> interface. Just remapping DCL commands onto the standard utilities was a major part of the work.

I find this conversation very interesting.  I was always led to believe
that when Mentec
got all the PDP-11 OSes except IAS  (supposedly because DEC still had
government
commitments) that it eventually faded into obscurity and was lost.
Obviously, not the
case.  Has anyone ever approached HP about the possibility of just
releasing it all to
the world as either Licensed Open Source or just public domain?  Not my
favorite OS
by any means, but better than the nothing we have for the PDP-11 today.

bill