DEC RSX-11D and its COBOL compiler?

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Tue May 29 12:57:30 CDT 2018

> On May 29, 2018, at 1:04 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On May 29, 2018, at 10:30 AM, John Forecast via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On May 29, 2018, at 3:30 AM, Nigel Williams via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>>> this is actually RSX-11D? http://bitsavers.org/bits/DEC/pdp11/magtapes/ias/
>>
>> 	Yes. The two V3.4A tapes will allow you to build either RSX-11D or IAS.
>
> Wow, I did not know that.  It certainly confirms that IAS is just a slightly hacked RSX-11/D...
>
> 	paul

	My first job in Maynard was project lead for DECnet-11D & DECnet-IAS (Phase II). It was basically the same source code for both, just
	separate builds since they were released as separate distributions. Later versions consolidated the releases into a single kit.

	The V3.4A tapes will claim to be running IAS but, if you select the “Real-Time” options during sysgen you’ll get the familiar MCR> prompt:

1920K (word) IAS Version 3.4A Baselevel 3414

SAV -- Partition GEN    expanded by    57472 words
MOUNT-**Volume Information**
	Device	=DB0
	Class	=File 11
	Label	=IASSYS
	UIC	=[1,1]
	Access	=[RWED,RWED,RWED,RWED]
	Charac	=[]
MOUNT --  DB0 ** Mount Complete **
 20-NOV-90 12:15:53
Date and time, please?

	IIRC, IAS development in Reading was done mostly on an 11/45. The 2.0 SPD confirms that IAS was supported on 11/45, 55 and 60 but
	only with 2 active terminals.

  John.