OT- Thunderbird ugliness, Was: Eudora email client source code released

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu May 24 07:51:15 CDT 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 09:28:40AM -0500, JP Hindin via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> It's slower than molasses in january. Moving eMail around between 'folders'
> often has it sit and spin the beachball for 2-3 seconds - dozens of times a
> day. And I just can't work out why - I mean, yes, it's a lot of ruddy eMail,
> but it's a monster of a laptop and it should be pulling/moving on the SSD
> when it's getting stuck before it's even tried to send the move message to
> google.

There are two parts to this. The first is that Thunderbird is a bloated
monstrosity ejected when Mozilla collapsed under its own weight and went
supernova. It's had years of feature creep since. The second is that Google
would rather you use the web interface where they can show you ads so the IMAP
service is subtly nonstandard to confuse your client.

[...]
> What am I missing here? Are there better options? Is Thunderbird just not
> designed for large mail sets for people who actually work for a living?

MacOS includes a perfectly good GUI mail client. It is even aware that GMail is
not a standard IMAP/SMTP mail service and works round its quirks.