Re: I ran across this strange modernistic  Data General ...odd  computer

Bruce Ray Bruce at Wild-Hare.com
Sun May 20 19:16:55 CDT 2018

G'day Ed -

That picture was taken from our web site - specifically a photo of a
Data General Desktop Generation Model 10 beside a (1983) newsletter
announcing the DG/10's introduction.   The computer system was announced
in 1983 in DG's effort to blunt the effect of the "microcomputer
revolution" on Data General's proprietary systems' sales.  It was based
on a 16-bit microEclipse processor contained in a small, modular,
consumer-oriented (desktop) form factor that ran DG operating systems
and software.  However, one version also contained an Intel 8086
co-processor that could run newfangled MS-DOS software, thereby
targeting the pesky, soon-to-die microcomputer market.  ;-)

The system was designed around modules that could be plugged together
which simplified system configuration and expansion.  It was very
reliable (except for some of the OEM disk drives used) but disk and tape
operations were very slow due to its serial I/O data bus design.

The Desktop Generation series was very popular with many DG users and
OEMs worldwide but was overshadowed by the factors that affected the
traditional minicomputer manufacturers in the mid-1980s.

And "yes", information does exist for these systems.  Do you have
pictures of your system?

Bruce

-----

Bruce Ray