'90s era PC recommendation.

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Mon May 7 14:37:56 CDT 2018

On 05/07/2018 01:12 PM, ben via cctalk wrote:
> Unless you have a old copy of DOS, what OS can you get for the OLD
> MACHINES?

I have multiple copies of older OSs that will run on the machine.

DOS / Windows:  MS-DOS, PC-DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS, Windows 3.x, Windows
9x, Windows NT 3.x, Windows NT 4
Novell:  NetWare 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, maybe 6.x
OS/2:  Warp 3, Warp 4
Linux:  (multiple)
FreeBSD:  (multiple)
SCO OpenServer  5.<something>, UnixWare 7.<something>

I'd like to get my hands on Banyan Vines and / or Artisoft LANtastic to
play with things.  }:-)

I don't know how much memory is installed in the machine.  But i would
expect that various versions of all of the above can install and run on
a machine with between 16 MB and 64 MB.  As for drive, anything between
200 MB and 2 GB will likely work.

I know that I've had Linux installed on the machine before.

There are a LOT of options on such machines.

One thing that I really like is the fact that it's a combination of PCI
and EISA bus.  Which means that I can mess with just about any add-on /
expansion card that I want to.  —  Save for MCA and VLB.  Though I doubt
that I'll want to play with those cards.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die