'90s era PC recommendation.

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sun May 6 13:18:18 CDT 2018

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a '90s era PC that has PCI and
ISA slots?  Ideally I'd like to have EISA slots too.  —  At least I
think that's what I want.

I'm developing an itch to play with older networking equipment, Token
Ring, FDDI, etc. and I suspect that a machine running '98 / NT 4, or a
Unix / Linux from the late '90s would be a good candidate to mess with
things.

Obviously I'll need two devices to communicate.  I may end up looking
for an older Cisco router that supports the various interface types.

Years ago I had a Compaq desktop that had PCI and EISA slots.  I'm
trying to re-acquire it from the friend that it went to.

Does anyone have any Pro Tips on things to look for or avoid?  —  One of
the worries that I have about the aforementioned Compaq is that it used
proprietary components (the keyboard connector looked like a PowerBook
SCSI connector) that would be hard to replace if (read: when) a problem
develops.

I would greatly appreciate any tips / tricks / things to avoid.

Thank you in advance.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die