Is This A Shill?

Cory Heisterkamp coryheisterkamp at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:58:09 CDT 2018

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 05/02/2018 08:06 AM, Eric Christopherson via cctalk wrote:
>
> > When you say you snipe with a bot, do you mean you use eBay's highest-bid
> > functionality to do it? Or do you use third-party software?
> >
> > I've never been clear on how the built-in highest-bid functionality
> works.
> > I often see things where the same person has several consecutive bids,
> > which doesn't make any sense to me in the absence of other people's bids
> in
> > between them.
>
> When you submit a bit do eBay using the traditional method, your bid is
> really a proxy bid--it's increased by specified increments until it's
> outbid by another bidder.   If you prevail, you win by the minimum
> winning proxy bid.
>
> For example, I was looking for a cheap HDMI cable.   There were a few
> available for a starting bid of $0.50.   I submitted a bit for $1.00 and
> won with a final price of $0.69.
>
> Sniping simply reduced the amount of time that a competing bidder has to
> submit a bid when he discovers that he's being outbid.  There's nothing
> unethical about it--auctions end at a specified time and you get your
> bid in at the last possible moment.
>
> There's software for this, but since I'm an original member of the
> eSnipe service, I use them and haven't paid them a fee for years, since
> bids under a certain amount aren't assessed for a commission.   Later
> subscribers don't have the same deal, I believe.
>
> When I'm interested in something small, I'll submit a snipe bid for what
> I'm willing to pay and then forget about it.  If I win, great, if not,
> no bother.
>
> One thing that many eBay subscribers overlook is the "Make offer"
> feature of some auctions.  In my opinion, that's where the real gold can
> be.  If the BIN price looks too high and you really want an item, make
> an offer.  You never know--the seller just may be want to be rid of the
> thing and will take any offer.
>

> FWIW,
> Chuck

Chuck makes a good point about the Make-Offer feature, and it should be
noted that sellers have this option available to them within the eBay
messenger system even if the button isn't present in the auction, so if you
have your eye on something and feel the price is too high (or your search
of completed auctions shows the item has been relisted several times with
no takers), there's no harm in sending the seller a message with a dollar
amount in mind. -C