CXY08 and DELQA compatible with 2.11bsd?

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:08:19 CDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 7:25 AM, Robert Armstrong via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>   The qt driver, however only works if you have the very late model DELQA that has "turbo" mode.  I think that was called the DETQA, but I'm not sure about that.  If you have an earlier DELQA then the qt driver simply says "qt0: !Turbo" and quits.  Gotta love those terse Un*x error messages!
>
>   The older non-turbo DELQAs and the DESQA (M3127, which is what I have) only seem to work with the qe driver.  It correctly recognizes and identifies them as a DELQA.  I believe the DESQA was identical to the DELQA but with S-box handles and a built in thinwire transceiver.
>
> Bob

Are there any hardware differences between the M7516 non-turbo and the
M7516-YM turbo versions of the DELQA, or only firmware differences?
Can you convert a non-turbo version into a turbo version just be
replacing the firmware EPROM?

I just checked and I have at least two M3127 DESQA. The M3127-PA Rev
B02 has 23-334E5 / 23-335E5 firmware EPROMs, the M3127-PA Rev D03 has
23-365E5 / 23-366E5 EPROMs.

Pete's DECROMs collection says the 23-365E5 / 23-366E5 set is the
DELQA-Plus aka Turbo DELQA Ver.2.0.0 set which replaces the 23-334E5 /
23-335E5 set.

If you have some spare 27C128 EPROMs you could try burning a 23-365E5
/ 23-366E5 set to install in your M3127 DESQA and see if the qt driver
is happy with it. I might try that myself eventually when time
permits.

For the curious about the 2.11BSD "qt0: !Turbo" error message:
src\sys\pdpif\if_qt.c:

qtturbo(sc)
    register struct qt_softc *sc;
    {
    register int i;
    register struct qtdevice *addr = sc->addr;
    struct  qt_init *iniblk = (struct qt_init *)SEG5;
    segm    seg5;

/*
 * Issue the software reset.  Delay 150us.  The board should now be in
 * DELQA-Normal mode.  Set ITB and DEQTA select.  If both bits do not
 * stay turned on then the board is not a DELQA-YM.
*/
    addr->arqr = ARQR_SR;
    addr->arqr = 0;
    delay(150L);

    addr->srr = 0x8001;     /* MS | ITB */
    i = addr->srr;
    addr->srr = 0x8000;     /* Turn off ITB, set DELQA select */
    if  (i != 0x8001)
        {
        printf("qt@%o !-YM\n", addr);
        return(0);
        }
/*
 * Board is a DELQA-YM.  Send the commands to enable Turbo mode.  Delay
 * 1 second, testing the SRR register every millisecond to see if the
 * board has shifted to Turbo mode.
*/
    addr->xcr0 = 0x0baf;
    addr->xcr1 = 0xff00;