RL02 Question

Aaron Jackson aaron at aaronsplace.co.uk
Fri Mar 30 08:26:33 CDT 2018

I think I have made some progress. I bought a new scope (TDS420A) and
now I can actually measure things. My old scope was far too slow. It
turns out the radial alignment was *very* off, so I have corrected
this. If I disable the seek timeout error, the heads load onto track 0
and the READY lamp is stable. This is as opposed to before, where the
READY lamp would flash while the heads try to remain locked onto
track. So, that's good. However, the drive will not accept commands
while the seek timeout error is disabled. And without SKTO the heads
don't load even make it to the outer guard track.

Since this is a timeout error, I am beginning to wonder if the heads are
failing load fast enough.

Is it possible (or even likely) that the carriage survo is a bit sticky?
I have a couple of these survos spare, but don't really want to mess
with the carriage unless I have to.

If anyone is interested, I have screen caps of some of the alignments
and checks from the manual here:

http://aaronsplace.co.uk/blog/2018-03-29-rl02-possible-problem.html

Thanks,
Aaron.

--
Aaron Jackson
PhD Student, Computer Vision Laboratory, Uni of Nottingham