Speed now & then (Space and time?)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Mar 30 06:32:46 CDT 2018

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 10:07:27PM -0500, Mark Linimon via cctalk wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 09:00:35PM -0500, Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:
>> It was an absolute DOG! It took several minutes for Emacs to load.
> So, uh, I hate to tell you about the state of the art these days ...

It starts up within half a second or so on my development box, even though my
.emacs pulls in all sorts of weird and wonderful packages. On my remote
servers, it can take a few seconds if the box is overloaded, but is otherwise
instant.

A lot of traditional software has *not* encountered the kind of bloat needed to
counteract Moore's Law, and so performs beautifully. What *is* bloating is
Windows software -- mercifully I don't run Windows -- half-jobbed ports of said
Windows software to other platforms (Firefox, mainly), and web-based stuff. The
latter includes various phoned-it-in apps which are basically written in
Javascript and embed an invisible web browser, which includes Slack, Spotify,
and a few other bits and pieces.

The obvious answer is to not use that bloated crapware and find something else
that does the same job.