Digitising collections of microfiche - Re: Looking for opinions...

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Thu Mar 29 10:06:14 CDT 2018

> I'm probably WAY over simplifying this because I don't have a grasp of the
> optics involved, but wouldn't it be possible to get a good image of
> individual pages on a microfiche by using a DSLR with the right lens and a
> CNC X/Y table made from one of the large (8x10) LED illuminators used to
> treat SAD?  The lights are pretty bright and are under $50.  The X/Y table
> build would be very simple and cheap to build.  The only "real" expense would
> be the right lens on the camera.

Yep. That is what I was thinking originally. I wasn't against the idea of
projecting the slide to a surface then capturing that.

There is a Canon 300 something or other Microfiche machine on eBay.
They're like $200-300. It's a viewer that supports computer capture via
what looks like SCSI and Twain driver. 5.5 seconds per grab:

Oh look here is a DIY one that is good enough to center it on each page.
Impressive. I think he is scanning DEC information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCRr9sbHBnM

Here is the Canon 300II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro1pO5Zd9hI

I'm not sure how person from unit #1 centers it, but unit #2 with a
autoloader and steppers to do X/Y I think might provide sexy output.

> The process could be automated by using a cheap SMD part vacuum (the little
> hand-held one I have ran about $10) attached to an arm that was run by some
> R/C servos.

That is what I was thinking, but there might be cases where the slide
sticks to the top of the glass holder. I think the holder is important for
focus.

--
: Ethan O'Toole