Digitising collections of microfiche - Re: Looking for opinions...

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Mar 29 09:38:38 CDT 2018

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:

>> The Illumitran uses bellows, but for a lot of DEC fiche, the page size is constant so extension tubes might actually be better - they won't slip.
>
> Initially I was going to suggest an Illumitran, but I don’t think it
> would work that well with trying to move the fiche around. You might
> have a point on the DEC fiche, though the bellows will allow you to
> maximize your page size.  Of course that may not be the greatest idea,
> as the more you maximize the size, the more attention you’ll have to pay
> to positioning each frame.

I'm probably WAY over simplifying this because I don't have a grasp of the
optics involved, but wouldn't it be possible to get a good image of
individual pages on a microfiche by using a DSLR with the right lens and
a CNC X/Y table made from one of the large (8x10) LED illuminators used to
treat SAD?  The lights are pretty bright and are under $50.  The X/Y table
build would be very simple and cheap to build.  The only "real" expense
would be the right lens on the camera.

The process could be automated by using a cheap SMD part vacuum (the
little hand-held one I have ran about $10) attached to an arm that was run
by some R/C servos.

You could use a webcam to image the whole sheet in order to obtain the
title of the sheet and that image along with the individual page images
could be stored together.  The webcam could also be used in conjunction
with OpenCL to ensure that the fiche positioner got it right every time.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007