RAID? Was: PATA hard disks, anyone?

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Wed Mar 28 12:51:55 CDT 2018

On 28 March 2018 at 18:17, Ethan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I know of no RAID setup that can save me >from stupid.
>>

> I use rsync. I manually rsync the working disks to the backup disks every
> week or two. Working disks have the shares to other hosts. If something
> happens to that data, deleted by accident or encrypted by malware. Meh.
>
> Hardware like netapp and maybe filesystems in open source have those
> awesome snapshot systems with there is directory tree that has past time
> version of data. A directory of 15 minutes ago, one of 6 hours ago, etc is
> what we had setup at a prior gig.

Possible helpful note on the off chance anyone wasn't already aware
(apologies for those who already know)

A step up from rsync can be dirvish - it uses rsync, but before each backup
it creates a hardlink tree of the previous backup, then rsyncs over it. The
net effect is you only pay the block cost of one copy of unchanged files,
plus an inode per copy. Can be very handy :)

David