RAID? Was: PATA hard disks, anyone?

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 20:26:53 CDT 2018

On 2018-03-27 10:05 PM, Ali via cctalk wrote:

> [...]
To meet Fred's original criteria you would only need 4 to create a
minimal RAID 6 array.  In theory a RAID 1 array (mirrored) of 4 or more
disk could also survive a second disk failure as long as one copy of all
the pairs in the array survive but you are starting to play the odds,
and I know of some cases where people have lost . You can improve the
odds by having a hot spare that automatically take over for a failed
disk.  One of  the most important things is the array manager has to
have some way of notifying you that there has been a failure so that you
can take action, however my observations as a hardware support person is
that even when there is error notification it is often missed or ignored
until subsequent failures kill off the array.   It also appears to be a
fairly common notion that if you have RAID there is no need to ever
backup, but I assure you RAID is not foolproof and arrays do fail.   One
of the big problems facing using large disks to build arrays is the
number of accesses just to build the array may put a serious dent in the
speced number of accesses before error or in some cases even exceed it.

Paul.