PATA hard disks, anyone?

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Tue Mar 27 20:20:14 CDT 2018

> Hitachi 3 and 4tb are VERY good, as are the equivalent Toshiba from when WD divested themselves
> of the Hitachi hi-end line.

Been runnning 4 HGST 4TB for a long while now at home and have been really
happy. My best disks.

> 1tb was the switchover point to vertical recording, so those (and esp seagate 1.5tb) are terrible

Ah, have a bunch of used 1.5TB seagates and there was about a 70% failure
rate but I assumed it was due to age on disk and going from 24x7 to off
for a few months then back on. Hoping to move off of those onto 30TB of WD
disks soon if the drives aren't totally dead.

> I have a few helium-filled drives spinning. They've been fine, but I don't know for how long yet.

Have a few HGST 8TB He drives at $work, out of 50 or so maybe 1 failure in
2 years. Very solid but our most expensive drives until you get into flash
storage.

I'm interested to hear how the 12TB Seagates perform. A friend I believe
got a few hundred in so it will be interesting in a year to hear if
they're reliable or not.