Shipping a Flexowriter

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Mar 24 07:49:32 CDT 2018

> On Mar 23, 2018, at 1:43 PM, Kyle Owen via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Thank you for the compliments! I'm looking forward to getting it going.
>
> Any idea what the model (FIO) indicates?

I don't know that specific designation and I can't find my reference.  But I do know that Friden would make custom variations of the Flexowriter, for example with different characters on the type bars and other features.

An example is the Flexowriters used at labs and universities (MC and THE, for example) in Holland for ALGOL programming.  Those had _ and | characters that did not advance the carriage, for making keywords (underlined words) and characters like not-equal.  They also had a "stop on semicolon" feature on the tape duplication mechanism, so you could edit your programs by copying tape and stopping on a statement boundary.  I saw that model code a few months ago.

	paul