radar history

Ed Sharpe couryhouse at aol.com
Sat Mar 3 16:59:58 CST 2018

Noel - the MIT rad labs  thick  volume on the Maggie  is  pretty  cool  too..
We are blessed to have  an entire set ( 28 volumes) at the museum of   rad labs...  I also have a  set myself... with  used to be a lot more special  than now....   you can download   them in digital  form and they float on cd  too

We  do have  some  volumes that  may be  extra at the museum library  some things are  just  so nice on paper... this is one  .... one of the others is a set of Bell System Technical  Journals... ( will probably have  an  extra  set of those..  many many boxes...

got coutermeasures  I recommend  the  2  volume  set   from Harvard Radio Research Labs     ala  RRL   ( Terman ran it)

Salsbury,  whose  entire  library is inside the museum library  started at   MIT Rad Las as he  came over  rith  EOL  from Berkeley and  went  over to Harvard and  was  section head on the 50,000 watt..  UHF ground jammer   for Lichtenstein    Nazi  night fighter radar...

we have some radar  gear and a lot  of   countermeasures   gear...

In a message dated 3/3/2018 6:35:14 AM US Mountain Standard Time, cctalk at classiccmp.org writes:

 > From: Chuck Guzis

 > the magnetron was made out to be a super-secret device, yet there's a
 > clear explanation of it in my 1942 "Radio Handbook".

Ordinary magnetrons had indeed been around for a while; they were invented in
1920. The British invention was the _cavity magnetron_, a quite different
beast; it was kind of a cross between a magnetron and a klystron, with the
best features of each.

Buderi (which is indeed an excellent history, perhaps the best in the radar
section of my library) has a good explanation of how it works.

 Noel