CDC 6600 display character generation

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Jun 6 14:36:17 CDT 2018

> On Jun 6, 2018, at 3:19 PM, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
>
> On 2018-06-06 2:08 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

>> The block diagram manual shows the waveforms generated by the controller.  As you can see, they are pretty angular and straight lined.  Each segment (between the small marks on the stroke) corresponds to a 100 ms clock cycle, with a one or two element step in X and/or Y.
>
> That must be closer to 100 ns? Typo?

Oops, yes of course, 100 ns (the 6000 series "minor cycle time", the master clock period).

>> I have converted the "chassis tabs 12" wire lists to a VHDL model, which you can find on my Subversion server.  Run on GHDL, it demonstrates the behavior of the circuit and reproduces the documented waveforms.
>>
>> I have also attempted to create a SPICE model of the DD60 deflection signal path.  So far that hasn't been all that successful.  I probably have bad assumptions for the transistor models, and the CRT deflection plate capacitance figures are also a complete guess.  My hope was to reproduce the actual screen patterns, but that hasn't worked yet.
>>
>> Finally, I did a much more primitive approximation of the DD60 signal path, with a couple of IIR filters that very roughly imitate the RC elements in that path.  That was done as part of my console display emulator program for Tom Hunter's DtCyber program.  It was somewhat successful in that the characters show some of the rounding and distortion that the real display has, but unfortunately I can't claim that this is because it's an accurate model.
>
> Nice work!

Thanks.  If anyone is interested, the bits are open for inspection at svn://akdesign.dyndns.org/dtcyber/trunk -- the VHDL is in the "vhdl" subdirectory and the attempt at a SPICE model in the "spice" subdirectory.  The console emulation is dd60.cpp.

	paul