RK05 spindle pulleys - trade 50Hz vs 60Hz?

Alan Frisbie frisbie at flying-disk.com
Thu Jul 26 14:49:04 CDT 2018

Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:

> In WWII radio equipment, MGs in a unitzed form called
> "dynamotors" were used to supply the high-voltage anode voltage
> for the tubes.

And long after WWII!   In the 1960s, I had a Motorola 140D (140
for the power, "D" standing for Dynamoter) mobile radio (6 meter
ham band) in my car.   Everytime I keyed the mike, the dynamoter
would instantly spin up with a loud whine.   Such radios were
normally housed in the trunk of the car and required heavy wire
to carry the 12 volt battery current for the dynamoter.

My Monarch 10EE lathe originally came with a big motor-generator
to power the variable-speed DC motor.   Later versions use
thyratrons, while even later ones were solid state, but they all
continued to use DC motors.   The variable-speed DC drive was
very similar (identical?) to elevator drives, known as the
Ward-Leonard system.

To bring this back to the RK05, someone asked if anyone had a
copy of the RK05 IPB.   If you still need it, let me know and
I'll dig it out.   I haven't packed it for my move yet, but
the drives are.

Alan