400Hz supplies; was: RK05 spindle pulleys - trade 50Hz vs 60Hz?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jul 26 14:15:19 CDT 2018

On 07/26/2018 11:51 AM, Ed Sharpe wrote:

> smecc has  stashed a  huge  mother gen  set    115  60cy  in  115
> 400 cy  out. was used to  run    rca avq  10  raradr.... we  have....
> but  could  run many   many things... it is  huge,,, these things
> exist out there  if you need one,...

400Hz power was also used in aviation gear.  I remember having a stock
of small surplus 400Hz transformers salvaged from various bits of
equipment purchased on Chicago's "Surplus Row".

Transformers are much smaller than their 50/60 Hz cousins.

On the other hand, when I worked in a steel mill, much of the power
distribution was 25Hz.  Transformers were much larger.  At some point,
one of the mills converted their lighting from incandescent to
mercury-vapor running from that 25Hz supply.  I'm surprised that nobody
experienced seizures from the flicker.

--Chuck