400Hz supplies; was: RK05 spindle pulleys - trade 50Hz vs 60Hz?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jul 26 11:28:58 CDT 2018

On 07/26/2018 08:26 AM, Tony Duell wrote:

> I believe if you want to be pedantic that a motor-generator set is a motor
> (with an armature/rotor and a field/stator) mechanically coupled to a
> generator (with its own armature/rotor and field/stator) whereas a
> dynamotor has a common field/stator (and possibly both armature
> windings have to be wound on the same core).

Hence my term "unitized", which I thought to give the basic idea without
going into excessive detail on an obsolete device.

In connection with similar low-power high-voltage supplies, I could also
have mentioned vibrator-transformer supplies, run from DC battery, used
very often in lower-power tube gear, such as auto radios and even photo
strobe flash.

The high-voltage DC was obtained from the transformer secondary by
either a traditional tube (very often cold cathode gas) rectifier, later
solid-state (selenium or silicon) or an additional set of contacts on
the vibrator itself.  Notorious for kicking up all sorts of RF noise.

But this is way off-topic.

--Chuck