how good is the data reliability with CD ROM and DVD RAM?

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jul 24 13:51:40 CDT 2018

On 07/24/2018 12:42 PM, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
> I wrote a lot of DDS2 and DDS3 tapes back in the day. When my DDS3
> drive broke, I got another drive. I found out that my first drive was
> seriously out of calibration, and though it could read its own tapes,
> other drives could not. All the data was gone.

Ouch!

That sounds like a common type of problem, namely single point of
failure on alignment.  I think I've heard of the same for floppy drives too.

> I'm considering getting an LTO drive, but I won't do it unless either I
> buy two drives, or find someone else with the same generation LTO drive
> who would like to exchange encrypted backup tapes for verification.

Valid concern.

I would also like to confirm that your drive can also read tapes from
your friend's alternate drive.

I'd really prefer if it was a trio of drives.  But that's even more
expensive / unlikely / difficult to achieve goal.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die