how good is the data reliability with CD ROM and DVD RAM?

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Mon Jul 23 15:38:48 CDT 2018

> On Jul 23, 2018, at 1:20 PM, Carlo Pisani via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> what about DVD-RAM?
> are they good about data-reliability?
>
> cost:
> - SCSI DVD-RAM reader/writer, say about 180-240 euro, brand new
> - DVD-RAM cartridge (disk + caddy), say about 20 euro per 5 disks, brand new
>
> how long does a DVD-RAM last?
>
> 4.5Gbyte per disk is ok for me, I need to archive my source code

I realize this is the CLASSICCMP mail list, however, when talking about archiving data today, why would you use classic tech, rather than modern tech?

If you’re looking at a SCSI DVD-RAM drive, I don’t care that it’s “new”, I start to wonder, just how *OLD* it is.  Sure it might be “New Old Stock (NOS)", but it might also be “Dead on Arrival (DOA)”.

If you are trying to archive data on “Classic” hardware, if it has SCSI, then it surely has network, and the ability to move your data to modern hardware.

Zane