how good is the data reliability with CD ROM and DVD RAM?

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Sun Jul 22 21:33:10 CDT 2018

> On Jul 22, 2018, at 6:47 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 07/22/2018 06:34 PM, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:
>
>> On premises has the exact same problem as tape.  You must have a refresh plan.  That’s the advantage of off prem, you don’t have to worry about refresh.
>
> I don't exactly follow you.   In the case of a specific example for NASA
> and its vendors a given mission may involve tens of thousands of tapes.
> When a mission concludes, tapes are usually bundled off to a warehouse
> and then later junked.   There's no money in the mission budget for
> preservation ad perpetuum.
>
> --Chuck

That’s the whole point of Cloud-based archives, as long as someone pays the “small” annual bill, the data is preserved, and someone else worries about the refresh of the data to more modern storage solutions.  Theoretically it’s also easier to find data in the cloud, but that depends on if you simply throw the data up there in the cloud, or if you take the time to do it right.  My guess is most will simply toss it up into the cloud and forget about it.  At some point, some bean-counter will ask why the bill has grown so large, and then…

Zane