how good is the data reliability with CD ROM and DVD RAM?

TeoZ teoz at neo.rr.com
Sat Jul 21 16:12:32 CDT 2018

I had a home CDR back when they were over $1000+ new. The media turned out
to be very reliable (and I have a bunch with gold, blue, green dye) and it
still readable as long as you didn't scratch the optical reflective layer. I
also used a laser printed paper cover which probably kept air out. I think
the media had better quality control when a single CDR was $8 a pop then
with a spool that costs $20. DVD recordable media was error prone if you
used DL disks. I only used CDRW media for short term moving of files so I
don't know how well they do long term. I have a BDXL Blueray drive I barely
use since anything I need to get at is either online on my server of offline
on a tape of some kind (LTO mostly but some DAT and AIT as well).

I have old IBM MO Worm disks that are still readable, same with all my MO
disks (3.5" 130MB, 5.25" 1.3GB) but drives can be iffy. I would bet that MO
media will outlast us all while finding a drive to read them will be a
problem.