how good is the data reliability with CD ROM and DVD RAM?

Jim Manley jim.manley at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 12:26:00 CDT 2018

The stability of the dyes is only part of the problem.  Even mass-produced
read-only optical media (e.g., movie/video content DVDs) can become
unreadable over time because the reflective layer (typically aluminum)
under the data-encoded layer corrodes due to the chemistry of the dyes and
encasing plastic, and heat accelerates the process.  The "gold" media may
have enough of a protective layer of that noble metal (it's obviously not
solid gold) that corrosion doesn't occur - only a few atoms' thickness is
required.