SDL and SunOS

Carlos E Murillo-Sanchez ce.murillosanchez at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 11:29:52 CDT 2018

David Griffith via cctalk wrote:
> How feasable is it to compile and run SDL for SunOS?  My main reason
> for doing this is to play Z-machine games on Sparcstations using Frotz
> (https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/frotz) using the SDL interface to
> play V6 games
Under SunOS 4.1.4, the last gcc version that is supported is 3.3.6, but
I haven't been able to build it on an IPX;  it gets to the point where
it starts running gengtype and eats all memory available (I have 64MB
RAM and have added as much as 1024 swap and it still crashes).  So, for
the time being I am still at the gcc 2.95.3 level in this particular
sun4c machine.  In order to build 2.95.3, I had to bootstrap 2.8.1 using
the cc that comes by default in the SunOS 4.1.4 install CD. Under
Solaris 2.6, the last supported  gcc version is 4.3.6, which I did
manage to build in a sun4m Sparcstation 5 machine with 144MB of RAM.

It is pretty hard to build modern software with 2.95.3.  It is mostly
C89 compliant, but not C98.  So...  I think that you stand a chance to
build SDL under Solaris, but not under SunOS 4.1.4.  And, for Solaris
2.6, there are still some mirrors of the old Sunfreeware archive with
many usable ports.  The SunOS 4.1.4 situation is rather different, as
there are hardly any pre-compiled binaries around.

Carlos.