GoTEK SFR1M44-U100...

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sat Jul 14 18:04:41 CDT 2018

On 07/14/2018 04:40 PM, Adrian Graham via cctalk wrote:
> Since I got my first Gotek last year I've learned more about floppy
> drives and disks than I ever thought would be neccesary but there's SO
> many different formats out there that I never knew about.

Yep.

I expect that I will be learning things too.  In fact, I'm planing on ~>
counting on exactly that.

Thankfully I've had some exposure through friends and various mailing
lists; cctalk, TUHS, COFF, and various newsgroups; comp.os.vms being
predominant.

> In the 80s my exposure to floppies was all DEC so I knew about hard/soft
> sectored drives and that RX50s had to be read in an RX50 drive. PC wise
> it was all IBM-related so a disk from one machine would work in another
> (alignment issues notwithstanding).

I had a vague sense that different OSs had different types of floppy
drives.  I've also heard of hard vs soft sector drives, but I have no
idea what the difference is.

> I'd used CP/M at school but assumed all CP/M machines used the same disk
> format. Wrong!

*nod*

It's my understanding that MS-DOS was one of the earlier OSs to
standardize file systems used across disks for various computer
manufacturers.  There were still some physical differences though.

> Fortunately I still find learning fun :)
:-D

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die