Odd MSV11-J bug (Was: MSV11-J engineering info)

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Jul 7 05:30:11 CDT 2018

    > it is not board-dependent - two different boards give incorrect read
    > data for the same write values!! ... I wonder if the board is storing
    > wrong values a _lot_, and the ECC is normally catching them?

Anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

I ask because I'm fixing to repair a broken MSV11-J for a list member, and the
combo of ECC and this might make it hard to track the problem down. (If only
one chip is dead, the ECC _should_ be able to 'paper over it'. So there are
probably two? But if I turn off ECC, to be able to find the bad chip, will I
get deceived by this other problem?)

    Noel