Making a bootable LIF CD for the 9000/382

Rico Pajarola rp at servium.ch
Thu Jul 5 02:59:01 CDT 2018

You can use "bchunk" to convert 2352 to something you can dd on a disk (I
recommend scsi2sd if you don't want to burn physical CDs. The boot rom
happily boots from anything that has the right bits on it, but the
installer needs a lot of manual convincing to install from the wrong media
type. Not impossible, just tedious). I'm also pretty sure that it's not
necessary to keep the images as 2352 byte images, they still work when
converted to 2048 bytes.

I tried it on the images on bitsavers.org/bits/HP/HP_9000/HPUX_9/2352_byte
(calling them .iso is confusing, .bin would have been a more conventional
choice):
----
$ file hpux900_install.iso
hpux900_install.iso: data
$ bchunk hpux900_install.iso hpux900_install.cue /tmp/hpux900_install.iso
Reading the CUE file:

Track  1: MODE1/2352    01 00:00:00

Writing tracks:

 1: /tmp/hpux900_install.iso01.iso    7/7    MB  [********************] 100
%
$ file /tmp/hpux900_install.iso01.iso
/tmp/hpux900_install.iso01.iso: Unix Fast File system [v1] (big-endian),
last mounted on , last written at Tue Aug 25 18:41:39 1992, clean flag 23,
number of blocks 1500, number of data blocks 1451, number of cylinder
groups 1, block size 8192, fragment size 1024, minimum percentage of free
blocks 10, rotational delay 4ms, disk rotational speed 8rps, TIME
optimization
----

which looks as expected and is identical to the hpux9.lif file one folder
up.

If that doesn't work I can provide you with the image I used to install
mine.