3 computing events

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Sat Jan 27 20:45:26 CST 2018

On 2018-01-27 8:16 PM, Murray McCullough via cctalk wrote:
> Three ‘computing’ events are happening:
>

> 1)      The i-Pad ...
>

> 2)      Bitcoin mining – The energy usage is extreme because of GPUs. Was
> 16-bit computer era, employing the 80287, such an energy hog?

It's extreme because proof-of-work is required, and so the more machines
you have doing the work (= the more energy expended), the quicker you
can mint fantasy money. (Using GPUs actually does much _more_ work per
Watt than other means, so they can't be blamed for this waste.)

We usually try to _minimise_ the work in everything else we do with
computers... and designs requiring proof-of-work don't seem sustainable.

> 3)      INTEL doesn’t seem to have been hurt by Meltdown & Specture
> financially- speaking.

Its CEO sure wasn't, personally.

--Toby