Keyboard "enthusiasts"

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 16:31:32 CST 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 5:26 PM, Geoffrey Oltmans via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:35 AM, Guy Sotomayor via cctalk <
> cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> > …are the bane of my existence and should all rot in hell.
> >
> <snip>
> >
> In their defense (and yes, I think they are awful no good people), I guess
> you can't fault them too much since up until fairly recently a quality
> mechanical keyboard was either too expensive or practically impossible to
> source for a modern computer, what with the obsession with flat square
> keycaps with next to no travel, etc. At least now we are starting to get
> some decent lower cost options in the marketplace as new. Maybe these new
> keyboards will dissuade people from destroying rare artifacts.

Also - I should add the vendor at VCF SE did have new keyboards to sell
too, I think he was thinking the vintage people would like to see some
vintage keyboards to buy, and perhaps to marry back to their original
systems.  I also think a lot of keyboard enthusiasts have no idea that
there is a historically-significant computer associated with the keyboard.
Ignorance is a factor.

I have come upon batches of keyboards with no machines in my travels, and I
have a few IBM terminal keyboards (newer type M's), but no one seemed to
want them unless I removed the RJ jack and put in a PS/2 jack.

Bill