GT-40 etc.

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 02:10:38 CST 2018

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 1:04 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 2018, at 11:06 PM, Ethan Dicks via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 8:32 PM, Paul Anderson <useddec at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think just the VR12, VR14, and the VR17.
>>
>> OK.  I've never had any of those.  I'm more wondering what modern
>> tubes might work.
>
> Remember that the GT40 is a vector drawing display, not a raster scan.  So you need a tube and associated deflection machinery that can handle high frequency X and Y deflection waveforms accurately.

Yes.  I do recall.  I presently have no vector displays, not even an
oscilloscope with X-Y inputs (I have used them in the past but I don't
own any of my own).

As Tom Uban mentioned elsewhere in the this thread, an Atari vector
display could work - like the one in Lunar Lander/Asteroids (but as Al
Kossow mentioned, the DEC displays were long-persistence green, not
white).  I don't own any Atari vector games either, but I do have a
buddy in town with a Lunar Lander that I've had my eye on for quite
some time (as it common with the breed, it also has blown deflector
amps, but he has some spares that need to be swapped in - the game
plays fine on an oscilloscope).

So... for the future, it seems more likely to me that I'd encounter an
Atari display than a DEC display but I'm happy to jump on whatever
floats by first.

Thanks for all the input.

-ethan