Reviving ARPAnet

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Jan 17 06:40:26 CST 2018

    > From: Lars Brinkhoff

    > - Multics NCP has not been located.

Really? It wasn't in the code dump at MIT?

    > - Unix?

For V6 NCP, we have several versions:

  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC
  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-V6

(The latter includes NCP as well as TCP/IP.)

    > - VMS?

I'm not sure a VMS machine was ever on the NCP ARPANet? Hmm, looking at a
'Hosts' table from 3-Mar-82 (NCP was only turned off in January of '83), I
see two machines with "xxx-VMS"names, and directly connected to IMPs, _but_
no OS is given. So maybe they were front-ended somehow?

    > Does anyone have any host tables between 1975 and 1981?

There's a July '77 one at the end of this:

  http://www.walden-family.com/dave/archive/bbn-tip-man.txt

and a January '79 copy of the MIT-SAIL one at the end here:

  https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc752.txt

Starting around '82, they are more common: stick a phrase from the header of
the above into the "this exact word or phrase" box in Google's Advanced
Search, and you get things like this:

  http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/BB-H137D-BM/06/new-system/hstnam.txt.html
  https://trac.common-lisp.net/mit-cadr/export/274/trunk/lisp/chaos/hosts.text

	Noel