Large discs (Was: Spectre & Meltdown

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.ch
Sat Jan 6 10:30:22 CST 2018

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 06:38:10PM -0800, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jan 2018, TeoZ wrote:
> >Hard drives NEVER keep up. Bragging about how many DVD's (90's technology)
> >you can store on current HD means little to people who have ultra HD
> >Blueray videos that take up to 100GB of space. Heck even a single game
> >download can be 50GB these days.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing about opinions of the 100GB "M-disc".  I've
> heard that they have decent longevity, and, the "low" capacity ones are
> interchangeable with conventional DVDs.

I've recently turned to using 25 & 100 GB M-disc BD discs for archival
storage (mostly my digital camera image archive, so data that doesn't
change). One downside of the 100 GB ones: they forever to write (with
the defaults on growisofs, IIRC ~3h or so).

> I can still put 20 100GB DVDs (2017 technology) on a 2TB 2.5" Thin SATA.
> However, I'm also looking for multi-terabyte storage.
> Are higher capacity DVDs on their way?
> Howzbout multi-TearByte SSDs?

I wouldn't trust SSDs (or any flash based storage) for archival purposes,
those are strictly for online storage.

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison