Spectre & Meltdown

Sophie Haskins haskins.sophie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 15:08:19 CST 2018

I misspoke - Spectre potentially affects all processors that use
*pipelining and speculative execution*, not just superscalar ones (I
mis-parsed "all modern processors capable of keeping many instructions
in flight").

There's been ongoing patches to the Linux kernel for Meltdown (and for
other OSes, though we can't read their mailing lists). For Spectre,
though, it seems like solutions might take longer to distribute.

It's kind of fascinating to run in to a cross-platform vulnerability
like this! Is anyone else aware of similar vulnerabilities from
history that also affected multiple processors, but relied on their
implementation details?