Computing from 1976

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Jan 1 14:08:26 CST 2018

On 01/01/2018 11:48 AM, Jason Howe via cctalk wrote:

> I find that the boatloads of javascript are what bring my old machines
> to their knees.  The initial https handshake really isn't *that* bad.

Heh, many of my device programming tools are *old* and require a PC with
real parallel port and/or serial ports.  I suspect that there are modern
USB version, but why fool around with something that works?

My go-to-system for such things is an old socket A PC that has an Athlon
XP-M hacked into it running at about 2.3GHz.  It's not awful on most
things, but web browsing is very sluggish--it never used to
be--something I attribute to more cruft-laden website code.

At any rate--I do my browsing on a contemporary system and ftp over any
file content needed.   Works just fine.

--Chuck